Teenage Death Songs: “Run Joey Run” by David Geddes

"Run Joey Run" by David GeddesPart three of a grisly series.

“Run Joey Run,” by my fellow Michigan Wolverine David Geddes, is from 1975, more than a decade removed from the heyday of the teenage death song.  This revival of the formula was a big hit, peaking at number four.

This being the ’70s and not the ’60s or ’50s, “Run Joey Run” is much sleazier than, say, “Tell Laura I Love Her.”  Daddy gets in a fight with Julie about something he’s discovered that is not G-rated–maybe he found her diaphragm, her positive pregnancy test, or her hot candid Joey-on-Julie Polaroids.  Perhaps all three.  Whatever it was, it was reason enough for Daddy to beat the shit out of her.  Then Daddy grabs his gun (or, as Geddes would say, “He’s got a GUUUHHN!”) to do a little Joey huntin’.  You can probably guess where the story goes from there.

As you can likely tell from the screen shot below, the video for this song is La Bomba (that translates to “‘da bomb” from Español, for those of you who don’t comprende Español).  YouTube has removed the embedding before, but there seems to be someone out there determined to keep this awesomeness available to the general public, so if it’s not working, let me know and I’ll try to track it down again.  Then go here here to watch it.  You have to see it.

[Yanked by YouTube again. Watch it here. I can’t embed for technical reasons. Thanks to commenter Robbie.]

My only regret is that I was too young in the ’70s to recognize what an awesome decade I was living through.

He’s got a GUUUHHN!

(I discovered this song via Johnny LaRue’s Crane Shot, a blog that seems to be mostly devoted to reviewing episodes of  old TV shows like “B.J. and the Bear” and men’s adventure novels (strangely excluding, alas, my beloved Destroyer).  He also posted on Stunt Rock.  Proper respect.)

Related posts below the fold.

Teenage Death Songs: “Teen Angel” by Mark Dinning

Teenage Death Songs: “Tell Laura I Love Her” by Ray Peterson

Teenage Death Songs: “Leader of the Pack” by the Shangri-Las

Teenage Death Songs: “The Water Was Red” by Johnny Cymbal

“The Last Game of the Season (A Blind Man in the Bleachers)” by David Geddes

18 Responses to Teenage Death Songs: “Run Joey Run” by David Geddes

1. javajunkee says:

Run Joey Run has disappeared yet again. What is up with people..holy cow just let us that want to relive our youth do it! Please find it for us again!

2. javajunkee says:

don’t forget that song “Laurie” I THINK it was Dicky Lee who sang it. The boy takes a girl out and when he gets home his dad tells him Laurie had been dead.

3. Damn! I knew I should have saved a copy myself. Now this wonderful video is likely lost forever. Yes, Warner, removing all traces of a song’s existence is the best way to sell it!

I’m thinking about doing a double feature of “Laurie (Strange Things Happen)” and “Patches,” although that might be too much awesomeness for a single post.

4. javajunkee says:

I am still on the hunt for it…if I find it I will sure come over and tell you. I have a feeling they found it everywhere this time. Don’t those guys have enough money that they are worried about some little videos on youtube? that is some greedy shit there!

• And counter-productive. How on earth is anyone going to hear the song other than through YouTube and sites like this? I bet “Run Joey Run” hasn’t been played on a single radio station in a decade or more.

I bitch about idiotic record-company behavior like this all time. And, unfortunately, it doesn’t look like I’ll have a reason to stop anytime soon.

• Found it again! See post.

5. javajunkee says:

I’ll bitch right along with you. I had made a montage of pictures of my daughter and PAID for Tom Petty’s American Girl on Itunes and I’ll be damned if WGM or whoever came and yanked my video from youtube because I had it playing in the background of the slideshow. WTF? So even purchasing an MP3 doesn’t let you have permission to use the song. Is David Geddes even still alive to care if his song is on youtube? And he made the video…is MTV playing it? I doubt it. Wouldn’t you as a hasbeen artist be thankful somebody still wanted to listen to your song and watch your low budget video? I know “I” would be thrilled. Holy cow I’m on a tangent now !

6. javajunkee says:

HURRAY you found it again!!!!

7. Nicki says:

The TV show Glee is covering this song next week.
    A whole new generation is about to be introduced to it =)

8. ECI says:

Yes, David Geddes is alive and well, in fact, he’s my father. And yes, he does care. Please show some support!! xxo

9. EJ says:

ECI, then would you ask your dad to post a legal version for us to watch, then post the link? Thanks.

Until then:

10. CR says:

Where is Last Kiss in you reviews. The best Teenage Death Song.

11. Stephanie Campbell says:

Tell your dad I have a radio show and would love to interview him. I can be reached by email on stephanie_20904@yahoo.com

12. Issac Maez says:

I have visited your website before. The more I read, the more I keep coming back!

13. Stephanie Campbell says:

What is David Geddes doing now with all of the attention this song is getting on Glee I am sure someone wants to talk to him.

14. Veronica says:

I never saw the video (and sounds like I may not want to) but I loved the song. It was so sad, but it was still good…and yes, it brings back memories of when we’d hear it on the radio.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: